About Cropp Cooperative
In 1988, a small group of Wisconsin farmers who shared a love of the land and a belief that a new, sustainable approach to agriculture was needed, came together to form an organic farmer-owned cooperative. Our founding farmers pledged to produce the best products possible by farming without antibiotics, synthetic hormones, pesticides or GMOs; by pasturing their animals; and by being stewards of the environment.
Today, Organic Valley is still independent and farmer-owned while also growing into America’s largest cooperative of organic family farmers. We follow the same recipe for environmental and economic sustainability that our founding farmers created, and we strive to uphold the values of cooperation, continual improvement, and excellence in animal care. As the co-op continues to grow, we prove that it is not necessary for a business to sacrifice people for profits: today, Organic Valley farmer-owners represent approximately 10 percent of the entire nation’s certified organic farming community.
A Democratic Model
The mission of CROPP is to create and operate a marketing cooperative that promotes regional farm diversity and economic stability by means of organic agricultural methods and the sale of certified organic products.
At CROPP we believe that transparency and accountability build trust. We encourage staff and member partnerships within a participatory democratic model:
- The farmer board of directors provides a framework and oversight in decision-making.
- Executive Committees offer guidance to the board and serve as liaisons between the membership in their regions and the board of directors.
- Management staff facilitates board decisions.
- Staff manages the business and markets and sells our products.
- Each member has one equal vote in co-op elections, regardless of the quantity of products they produce for the co-op.